General questions or comments related to all aspects of fly fishing 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Montague Bamboo Rods
Posted by: No Slime Slinger (IP Logged)
Date: September 07, 2003 11:32AM

I recently bought a Montague "Mt. Tom", bamboo rod. Does anyone have any specific information about Montague rod making operation. I think they were bought out in the 50's by Thomas & Thomas. It is a real beauty and seems almost dainty for an 8'6" rod.

Re: Montague Bamboo Rods
Posted by: Flyfishnfreak (IP Logged)
Date: October 04, 2003 12:01AM

Montague fly rods were production bamboo rods made in Montague City, Mass. during the '40s - and into the early 50's.
If you would really like to find out more about these rods contact Carmine Lisella @ 845-639-7630 after 9:00 am est and before 8:00 pm est. Carmine is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to cane rods.

Posted by: fred kapple (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2003 09:36PM

I have a Montague 9 ft. fly rod that was given tome by a friend who'sw father was a friend of mine. The insignia is oval with a black i/4 mm. black border, gold interior with a red oval in the center with a gold fish with curled tail underneith itself. the lower printing on the insignia is BUSH__LOWE____ The underlined areas are scraped off. On the underswide of the rod about five inches from the handle reads "War Eagle" in white ink. It is a three piece with an extra tip.

Any idea of what I have?

Fred

Posted by: bill lynch (IP Logged)
Date: September 10, 2004 03:34PM

When I bought my home in NY, I found a very pristine Montague Fishkill bamboo rod. It looks as if it is brand new.

It seems to be a full set (no reel) of 5 bamboo sections (plus cork/metal handgrip).
It is in a 5 channelled khaki roll-up canvas sleeve, which itself slides into a aluminum tube. The cork in that tube has keep all the contents in amazing 'as new' condition.

Interestingly, the rod appears to be a fly fishing/casting combo kit.

The all metal/cork handgrip has insert points at both ends to allow you to position the reel below your grip (for fly reel) or above your grip (for casting reel).

The main bamboo section (with Montague Fishkill label) has metal eyelets (with what looks like red glass on the inside of each eyelet).

In casting setup, the main bamboo section accepts a single additonal section with matching eyelets.

In fly fishing setup, the main bamboo section accepts 2 additional bamboo sections and is about 9 feet in length. the eylets on these sections are different
then the metal/glass ones metioned earlier. Original, but different. They look
kind of like the greek letter OMEGA.

The fly setup has a second matching tip section.

I am trying to get an idea of what year this specific rod was made, and what reel/reels might have been sold with it, if any.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted by: Steve (IP Logged)
Date: October 17, 2004 08:45PM

I'd like to buy a Montague bamboo rod, 8'6", three piece with two tips, for a 6 weight double taper line. Please contact me if you have such a rod for sale.

Posted by: Cleve Mattix (IP Logged)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:56PM

I have an old (1951 I'm told) Montague Flash in absolute pristine condition. Does anybody have a history on this model rod? I wil call the number listed above. I would like to use it for fly fishing on one of my trips to Colorado, but was told by an old man at a fishing store in Red River, New Mexico when I was a teen ager to never use that rod (it is unused). Is it more valuable as an antique or a great bamboo fishing rod? Cleve

Posted by: Ken Poor (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2005 05:11PM

I have a 4 section (two tips, butt, base or handle) Montague Rapidan split-cane fly rod in the original canvas sock. I also have the reel that came with the rod. If the price is right I would sell it.

Posted by: james tucker (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 08:09PM

did you get answers to your questions...I just came into possession of a Montague cane rod and do not have a clue as to what I have...

Posted by: harold schultz (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2005 11:25PM

I have a butt piece to a 9' Montague Sunbeam. I am looking to buy a mid and a tip or two that would complete the rod, so it would be ready to restore. anyone have these pieces? or have any advice for my project? Thanks.

Posted by: larry (IP Logged)
Date: November 02, 2005 06:09AM

Harold,
I would suggest posting this same message on [www.njflyfishing.com] there are quite a few bamboo finatics there and they can definetely send you in the proper direction. You will get a more immediate response than here.

Thanks

larry
flyfishingconnection.com

Posted by: bill (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2006 04:25PM

Hi Cleve, I read your post in flyfishing connection and was wondering if you ever got an answer about your Montague Flash flyrod. I have the exact same rod and it also is in perfect condition. Like you, I am wondering what the value of one of these rods are. My Dad had it in a burlap carry bag( made for the rod) and in a hardboard tube( since has been misplaced) I used it maybe two or three times and they are definately a superior bamboo rod. ( at least I thought so)
If you have any info to share on this rod, it would be appreciated.
Thanks--Bill Brown

Posted by: Richard Bisetti (IP Logged)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:39PM

Hello Bill and Cleve,
I have a Montague Flash 9 ft. medium trout split bamboo rod which once belonged to my father. I remember that rod when I was a child. I am now 71 years old. I have a photo of dad decked out in his jhodpurs, shirt and tie, high laced boots and fishing creel with what may be this rod at about the time I was born. Fishermen do not dress like this anymore. This rod has two guides missing and I do not know where to find replacements for them here in the Los Angeles area. I would like to replace them because I know dad would like that wonderful old rod repaired were he alive today. It also came with an extra tip and is in its original linen storage sack and tube complete with the montague label with the number 3500 stamped on it. If that has any meaning it would be nice to know. Has the rod any value? I don't honestly know. I do know that it is precious to me. So there you have it.
Respectfully,
Richard Bisetti

Kosmic bamboo flyrod
Posted by: Robert MacAllister (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2006 06:18PM

Hello

I have a "Kosmic" three part flyrod. The only place that says Kosmic is the leather carrying case. There is no lettering on the canvas pouch that holds the three sections, and no wording on the rods, except for the patent number. The patent info says " patented May 6th 1890, May 27th 1890.

The rod has a darker varnish than that of a clear bamboo, with red string, plastic lined ferrules, and a long wooden tube with screw on butt cap that holds the end section.

I live in Maine, and understand that Thomas, Edwards, and Payne were together only a short time, and did perhaps some of their best work together, and that the Kosmic may be a part of that collaberation. I would be interested to know what the market might ask for such a flyrod. thanks, and enjoy the fishing.

Bob MacAllister

Re: Kosmic bamboo flyrod
Posted by: john (IP Logged)
Date: July 01, 2006 02:14AM

i have a Montague,splitswitch-genuine tonkin any ideas on value

Posted by: Ron Martin (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2006 05:26PM

Most of the Montague rods are worth around $100.00 to $150.00 depending on condition and what model the rod is. I have several Montague rods and they work well if you use the proper size silk line for the weight of the rod. I have seen Montague rods with correct sock and tube go for $200.00. The condition on these rods were really nice.

Posted by: Casey A. Wood (IP Logged)
Date: January 30, 2007 07:14AM

Just swapped for a Montigue 9 foot rod with spare tip. It came with cloth sleeve and metal tube. On the label towards the bottom is "Rapida" I think a letter or two is missing because part of the label is missing. It's kind of stiff in the butt end. My father has a similar model, and it is lighter. Any idea for line weight?

Posted by: Julie Pritchett (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2007 05:30PM

I have 2 9 foot split witch combo bamboo fishing rods in a cloth sleeve and cardboard tube. There are 4 pieces to each rod, one end makes it a 6 foot rod the other end makes it a 9 foot rod. One label has a 4sc label on it the other has a 550 label. One is in excellent condition the other has lost some of the eyelets. I was wondering what the value of these rods and approximate manufacture date. If you could be of any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by: JOE FORESMAN (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2007 07:57PM

i have a two piece montague rod in real good condition. if interested just email me

Posted by: m. may (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2007 10:19AM

bill lynch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I bought my home in NY, I found a very
> pristine Montague Fishkill bamboo rod. It looks as
> if it is brand new.
>
> It seems to be a full set (no reel) of 5 bamboo
> sections (plus cork/metal handgrip).
> It is in a 5 channelled khaki roll-up canvas
> sleeve, which itself slides into a aluminum tube.
> The cork in that tube has keep all the contents in
> amazing 'as new' condition.
>
> Interestingly, the rod appears to be a fly
> fishing/casting combo kit.
>
> The all metal/cork handgrip has insert points at
> both ends to allow you to position the reel below
> your grip (for fly reel) or above your grip (for
> casting reel).
>
> The main bamboo section (with Montague Fishkill
> label) has metal eyelets (with what looks like red
> glass on the inside of each eyelet).
>
> In casting setup, the main bamboo section accepts
> a single additonal section with matching eyelets.
>
> In fly fishing setup, the main bamboo section
> accepts 2 additional bamboo sections and is about
> 9 feet in length. the eylets on these sections are
> different
> then the metal/glass ones metioned earlier.
> Original, but different. They look
> kind of like the greek letter OMEGA.
>
> The fly setup has a second matching tip section.
>
> I am trying to get an idea of what year this
> specific rod was made, and what reel/reels might
> have been sold with it, if any.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Posted by: m. may (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2007 10:21AM

Would you be interested in selling this set?

bill lynch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I bought my home in NY, I found a very
> pristine Montague Fishkill bamboo rod. It looks as
> if it is brand new.
>
> It seems to be a full set (no reel) of 5 bamboo
> sections (plus cork/metal handgrip).
> It is in a 5 channelled khaki roll-up canvas
> sleeve, which itself slides into a aluminum tube.
> The cork in that tube has keep all the contents in
> amazing 'as new' condition.
>
> Interestingly, the rod appears to be a fly
> fishing/casting combo kit.
>
> The all metal/cork handgrip has insert points at
> both ends to allow you to position the reel below
> your grip (for fly reel) or above your grip (for
> casting reel).
>
> The main bamboo section (with Montague Fishkill
> label) has metal eyelets (with what looks like red
> glass on the inside of each eyelet).
>
> In casting setup, the main bamboo section accepts
> a single additonal section with matching eyelets.
>
> In fly fishing setup, the main bamboo section
> accepts 2 additional bamboo sections and is about
> 9 feet in length. the eylets on these sections are
> different
> then the metal/glass ones metioned earlier.
> Original, but different. They look
> kind of like the greek letter OMEGA.
>
> The fly setup has a second matching tip section.
>
> I am trying to get an idea of what year this
> specific rod was made, and what reel/reels might
> have been sold with it, if any.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Posted by: Sally Hauser (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2008 11:07PM

Hi- I am interested in your fly-rod. Are you from Cincinnati?

Posted by: eric Zamora (IP Logged)
Date: July 29, 2008 01:23AM

it's interesting to read so much about montague rods in this thread. i'm just getting into bamboo myself and have done a lot of reading on them over the past couple of years though much has not been retained very well since there's so much info out there.

from what i know, if you haven't discovered yet, montague was a low end rod, not just in price, but in fishing quality and these days seen equally as such by collectors. they do not draw the prices "good" bamboo draws and though they catch fish, and many grew up with someone in their family who had one, they typically do not share the finest casting quality collectible bamboo rods do. their main value is sentimental which seems to coincide with what i've been reading in this thread.

kosmic on the otherhand is a different matter.

nobody's mentioned it yet, but there is a forum dedicated to bamboo rods and it has a section within devoted to collecting. some of you may wish to visit it and read up on past posts.
[clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com]

in my watching experience, particularly with a popular online auction site, montagues rarely go above $100, and most seem to sell for way under $75.

just a heads up for those reading this. when people talk about the fine bamboo flyfishing experience, they are <<typically> referring to trout rods, and those 8 foot (probably more like 7'-6") and under where many agree bamboo shines. montagues are generally not included in those accolades. the potential problem arises when people want to experience a fine bamboo fly rod and fish a montague (or other mass produced bamboo fly rod) and find it lacking and so decide bamboo is terrible.

i write this hesitantly since many fly rods come accompanied with sentimentality. i mean no disrespect, just trying to offer help to those who want it.
best regards,

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: vance amos (IP Logged)
Date: August 31, 2008 09:51AM

I have a super nice Montague fiberglass flyrod I found while doing a cleanout on a house. It has the original tube as well as the sock and look like it has never really been used. It really is that nice! It is a 2-pc. Montague Fishkill 8.5 ft rod model # 1036. I would like to get $150 or best offer for it. Please contact me if interested. Thank you, Vance

Posted by: Bryan (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:12PM

I am interested in your rod... do you have any more info on it?

Posted by: Bryan (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:13PM

I am interested in your fly rod... do you have any more details on it?

Posted by: Andy Eikren (IP Logged)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:30PM

Hi Richard, I have a Montague 9' split bamboo medium action #3028 in new condition. What would you think the age of it to be?????? Thanks, Andy Eikren

Posted by: Walter (IP Logged)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:51PM

Hello,
I have an old pole im trying to learn more about it. I have a Montague Fishkill Genuine Tonkin fishing rod.No other writing on the rod. Not a fly rod. More like an ocean rod. It is a 2 pc. rod measuring 9-6 put together. There are 2 eyelets. One at the tip, and another one about 2 feet down but it is a double eyelet. The pole is in very mint condition. Can you tell me more?

Posted by: MontyMan (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:56PM

Walter,

Sounds like you have a Montague Fishkill model bamboo ocean fishing rod. It also sounds like you may have some guides missing from it. The Fishkill is a pretty good quality rod. It probably has a double reinforced ferrule (metal connector between the sections). Though it is a good quality rod, Montague made them for decades, and made tens of thousands of them, so they are pretty common, even today. The value of this rod on eBay would be $25 to $75, depending upon the condition of the rod.

I fish for salmon and sturgeon with a Montague bamboo rod similar to yours, and it is still catching fish. If you want to find out when it was made, you can e-mail me, and I'll help if I can.

...MontyMan
Montague Collector

Re: Montague Bamboo Rods - Setting the record straight
Posted by: MontyMan (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:43PM

Eric,

You posted, "i'm just getting into bamboo myself... from what i know, if you haven't discovered yet, montague was a low end rod... their main value is sentimental which seems to coincide with what i've been reading in this thread."

I don't mean to step on any toes, but I had the same impression of Montague rods when I was just getting started with bamboo. I still hear the same story all the time. I've been researching and collecting Montague bamboo rods for a while now, and I can tell you that Montague made some very fine bamboo fly fishing rods. Some of them hold their own against most of the finest built rods of their time.

You can get a first class fishing experience from a vintage Montague Manitou, Red Wing or Powr-Built bamboo fly rod. It is true that Montague sold more low-end and mid-grade rods than any other company on earth, and that's where they get the reputation. You wouldn't judge the Ford Motor Company by how many Pintos they sold, would you? You have to understand, people were buying them by the thousands, and loved them. As today, people bought the fly rod that was in their price range, and Montague made rods for all price ranges, not just low-end.

Most high-end bamboo rod collectors that I know own at least 1 Montague rod, and it's usually not for sentimental reasons. It's because the higher-end Montague rods are great quality, and usually still a bargain for the price.

All I'm saying is that you've learned enough about bamboo fly rods to pick up on the popular opinions of the general public, and many collectors. The seasoned collectors have learned not to throw the baby out with the bath water, when it comes to Montague rods. Some of the best bargains out there on high quality vintage bamboo rods are Montague.

...MontyMan
Montague Collector

Posted by: Dave P (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2010 02:45PM

Sounds like we both have the same rod. Mine has the same weird "double" guide part way down the rod. I don't know why there is one guide on top of the rod that seems to go with the tip guide, and then the other one is on the bottom of the rod.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Copyright © 1998 - 2007 The Flyfishing Connection All Rights Reserved